[Tutor] I don't understand this code

ZUXOXUS zuxoxus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:43:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am a true beginner in programming, and im learning with
inventwithpython.com.

There's something I dont understand, and i would really appreciate any help.

In chapter 9, the one about the Hangman game, I don't get the block of code
in line 61

59.  words = 'ant baboon badger bat bear'
60.

   1. def getRandomWord(wordList):
   2.     # This function returns a random string from the passed list of
   strings.
   3.     wordIndex = random.randint(0, len(wordList) - 1)
   4.     return wordList[wordIndex]

The thing is, the "passed list of strings" is called "words", not
"wordList", so I see it shouldn't work.

On the other hand, the variable "wordList" is defined nowhere!

The code is ok, because the program runs ok. So there is somethings that i
dont get.

Thank you very much in advance.