[Tutor] [OT] Confusion [was Re: A file containing a string of 1 billion random digits.]

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 20 02:57:12 CEST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 01:42:51 am Richard D. Moores wrote:

> The formatting operations described here are obsolete and may go away
> in future versions of Python. Use the new String Formatting in new
> code.
>
> I hope that use of '*' does disappear. It's the most confusing thing
> I've recently tried to get my mind around!

If you think that's confusing, you should try reading up on Monads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monad_(functional_programming)

> Before that, maybe, was the Trinity..

[Note: the following may be offensive to some Christians, in which case,
remember that nobody has the right to not be offended, and nobody is
forcing you to read on.]

The Trinity is simple to understand once you realise one thing --
despite all the obfuscatory pseudo-justifications for it, it is not
meant to be understood, it's meant to be believed. It is a Mystery,
something beyond human understanding. Not merely a small-m mystery,
something which is possible to understand in principle, if we only knew
enough. As Tertullian said (in a related but slightly different
context):

"It is certain because it is impossible".

Or, to paraphrase, "I believe it because it is absurd".

Like many religious beliefs (e.g. transubstantiation and dietary
restrictions), belief in the Trinity is a shibboleth. Belief in the
Trinity distinguishes Us ("true Christians") from Them (heretics and
pagans[1]). The more ridiculous and crazy the belief, the more
effective it is as a shibboleth. Anyone can believe that the son and
the father are different people, because that's just ordinary
common-sense[2]. But to believe that the son and the father are one and
the same while being different *at the same time* makes no sense. It
is, as Tertullian would almost certainly have admitted, absurd and
ridiculous and totally crazy. Tertullian would have believed it
*because* it was unbelievable.

It really is frightening to realise that, essentially, the Chewbacca
Defence has held such a grip on human society for so many centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewbacca_defense

[1] Actually many pagans also believe in trinities. But they believe in
the *wrong* trinity: the three-as-one nature of Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva,
Ra/Horus/Osiris, Ceres/Liber/Libera, or (two-in-one) Apollo/Bacchus is
mere pagan superstition, while the three-as-one nature of
Father/Son/Spirit is self-evidently true, at least according to those
Christian sects which believe in a trinity.

[2] So rare that it ought to count as a superpower.

--
Steven D'Aprano