[Tutor] Difficulty Understanding Example Code for Blender Script

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:06:52 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Andrew Martin <amartin7211 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> This code was part of a Blender script to build a 3d bar graph, so I don't
>> know if understanding Blender is a prereq for understanding this code. The
>> function is for the axis labels.
>>
>> def label(text,position,orientation='z'):
>>     txt=Text3d.New('label')
>>     txt.setText(text)
>>     ob=Scene.GetCurrent().objects.new(txt)
>>     ob.setLocation(*position)
>>     if orientation=='x':
>>         ob.setEuler(-pi/2.0,0,0)
>>     elif orientation=='z':
>>         ob.setEuler(0,0,pi/2.0)
>>     print 'label %s at %s along %s' %(text,position,orientation)
>>
>>  I understand it for the most part except for the orientation part. I
>> assume orientation is for the 3d text object, but how is it determined
>> whether it is x or z?
>
> I don't use Blender myself, so this will be a more generic, high-level
> answer...
>>
>> def label(text,position,orientation='z'):
>
> This definition specifies that label() takes two mandatory parameters - text
> and position - and one optional parameter, orientation.  What makes
> "orientation" optional is the fact that a default value is supplied:
> "orientation='z'".  In other words, "orientation" is equal to "z" unless you
> specify otherwise in your call to label().

Seeing as how blender is 3d graphics, have you tried the 'newbie
fidget with it', and typed in w(quaternion),x, or y to see what
occurs. Also, have you looked into the hierarchy to see if z, which
looks as though it's contained in a string, is an input variable
declared elsewhere as an integer, or represents something else in it's
usage. Z can mean global, or object orientation in blender from what I
see.