[Tutor] Python a substitute/alternative for PhP?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 03:33:46 CEST 2010

Personally, I would learn Python. My college does not offer Python
either, so I had to learn what I know on my own(of course, by that I
mean constantly pestering this and other of the amazing Python email
lists). PHP is fine in itself, but, after using it, Java, and intros
to a few other languages, nothing has been able to beat Python's ease
of use, massive extensibility (there is a package to let you do just
about anything you want), and support community. It is a great
language and, especially if you plan to stick with desktop
applications, I think it is much easier than a language like C++ or
Java. Your life will be even easier than mine since you are going to
be on Linux; I believe most Linux distros come with Python, while
Windows does not, so what you make can be distributed as scripts while
I have to use a program like py2exe and package the entire Python
interpreter.
Anyway, just my thoughts. Note that I am still in college for my
computer science degree and am in no way a professional programmer,
just someone who has waded in several languages and found Python to be
the only one worth diving into all the way.

On 6/11/10, Eldon Londe Mello Junior <eldonjr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If you care to listen to my story and fully help me out, just keep on
> reading }else{ move to the final question :)
>
> I'm just finishing an introductory course on PhP and MySQL (HTML, CSS and
> Javascript basics included). That's a typical first step to novice
> programmers in Brazil.
>
> However, I've been reading a lot about programming languages and stuff in
> order to make the best choice as I don't want to spend much time learning
> unnecessary things I won't need in the future.
>
> Thus, I decided I want to be a contributor for the GNU/LINUX community and,
> of course, become sort of an opensource-solutions professional programmer.
> And if I got it right, python would the most adequate language for me to
> reach my goals.
>
> Only a few programmers in Brazil are familiar with python though. As I said
> before, most beginners start with PhP and stick with it or go for JAVA or MS
> proprietary languages. Actually, you can only learn python on your own
> around here as no college or private institutes offer python courses.
>
> As you may see it coming, the big question for me is: should I stick with
> PHP as most people here (those fond of free software) or Python is or would
> be a better choice for me?
>
> FINAL QUESTION> Is Python a substitute for PHP? I mean, can I start learning
> python by trying to do the things I've learned with PHP? Are they different
> anyhow or they actually compete against each other?
>
> Thanks in advance, advice on which steps to take to reach my career goals
> would be very appreciated as well!
>
> Eldon.
>

>> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:27:44 -0700
>> From: dkuhlman at rexx.com
>> To: Tutor at python.org
>> Subject: Re: [Tutor] What's the catch with ZopeDB?
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:42:35PM +0200, Knacktus wrote:
>>

>> > To me, ZopeDB (a object database for Python) looks like an awesomely
>> > easy solution. I could save some brain power for the innovative part or
>> > drink more beer watching the soccer world cup. At the same moment, I
>> > wonder why anyone in the python world would go through the hassle of
>> > using relational databases unless forced.
>> >
>> > So, has anyone experience with ZopeDB? Are there some drawbacks I should
>> >
>> > be aware of before getting a book and dive in? (It sounds too good ;-))
>> >

>> Jan -
>>
>> If you are evaluating alternative solutions, you might also look
>> into Django models.  There have been some very positive comments
>> about Django on this list.  And, Django models can be used outside
>> of the Django Web applications.  Also, Django models are reasonably
>> object oriented.  A Django model/DB can sit on top of several
>> different relational database engines, for example, PostgreSQL, MySQL,
>> sqlite3, etc.
>>
>> See:
>>
>>     http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/#the-model-layer
>>     http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/chapter05/

> [...]