[Tutor] Structuring a class

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 15 09:44:15 CEST 2010

"Lang Hurst" <lang at tharin.com> wrote

> I'm trying to figure out how to deal with data which will look
> something like:
>    Student:Bob Hurley
>    Credits:
>       Algebra C (20P)
>             Chapter 1
>             Chapter 2
>       Consumer Math (24G)
>             Module 2
> So, I just figured that I would have a couple of nested
> dictionaries.

Or 3 classes: Student, Credit, Module

But classses will be most useful if you are doing a lot of
interaction between the students or calculations based on the credits.

As Bob suggested, if you mainly just want to add/delete/modify
and report on the data a database is a better bet.

You mght still create a Student class to structure the data
coming back from the database but the other classes will
probably be overkill and your double dict will be as effective.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site