[Tutor] conventions for establishing and saving default values for variables

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Tue Jun 15 15:02:22 CEST 2010

Pete O'Connell wrote:
> Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to the best
> way to get and save variables from a user the first time a script is
> opened. For example if the script prompts something like "What is the
> path to the folder?" and the result is held in a variable called
> thePath, what is the best way to have that variable saved for all
> subsequent uses of the script by the same user.
> Pete

ConfigParser can read/write config files or using Pickle/cPickle to save
& load your variables or using something like JSON (JavaScript Object
Notation) will do what you want.

For something like just storing a path for future use using ConfigParser
would be perfectly suited to the task.

import ConfigParser

cfg = ConfigParser.ConfigParser()
cfg.read('options.cfg')
if not cfg.sections():
    work_path = raw_input('Please enter the workspace path: ')
    cfg.add_section('PATH')
    cfg.set('PATH', 'workspace', work_path)
    f = open('options.cfg', 'w')
    cfg.write(f)
    f.close()
else:
    work_path = cfg.get('PATH', 'workspace')

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts