[Tutor] conventions for establishing and saving default values forvariables

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 15 19:49:40 CEST 2010

"Pete O'Connell" <pedrooconnell at gmail.com> wrote

> Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to the
> best way
> to get and save variables from a user the first time a script is
> opened. For
> example if the script prompts something like "What is the path to
> the
> folder?" and the result is held in a variable called thePath, what
> is the
> best way to have that variable saved for all subsequent uses of the
> script
> by the same user.

Others have mentioned ini files on Windows and resource files
in *nix as well as other options.

Another option depending on the purpose might be an
environment variable. But that would normally only be
used to, for example, set a path to where the ini file was
located - especially if it wasn't in the default location,
maybe being shared by a user group, say. So it
depends on the function of your variable too.

Personally I'd go with an ini/resource file in the users home
directory
as being the most consistent and simplest solution.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site