[Tutor] Question

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 19 10:56:34 CEST 2010

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 01:55:05 pm Independent Learner wrote:

> ~I was wondering if I should try to learn 2 programming languages at
> once, Python and C++.

I don't know. That depends on you.

How much time do you have to spend on learning the languages? If it's
one hour a week, you'll have trouble learning *one* language, never
mind two.

It really depends on you, and since we don't know you, we can't answer
that.

Alan has said "No" because Python and C++ have radically different
programming models, and suggested that you should consider two
languages that are much more similar such as Python and Ruby. I don't
know about that... I think I'd much rather learn two different
languages, so that I could compartmentalise "these are Python rules"
and "these are C++ rules", rather constantly mixing up Python and Ruby
syntax and idioms and getting them confused. But your mileage may
vary -- maybe you're more like Alan than me.

> Yea I took an intro to comp sci class(like 2 years ago) and a
> computer programming logic class(also like 2 years ago) both
> using pseudocode

Good grief! How do they teach a class in computer programming using
pseudocode??? That's like teaching somebody to cook by handing them
Playdough and a toy oven that doesn't even get warm!

> and have since dabbled in C(I started a programming
> class for school but dropped out twice after about 1/3 of  the
> semester, for two consecutive semesters about 9 months ago) So here I
> am, a computer engineering major failure who had to change my major
> to Physics so I wouldn't have to take all those dammed comp sci
> classes Figured I could just teach myself. I mention this because I
> want to make clear I have the logic and critical thinking skills
> down, and in my opinion the aptitude as well.

I don't mean to be negative, but if you've dropped out of a programming
course *twice*, and then changed your major to avoid programming,
perhaps you're not cut out for programming? Obviously I don't know you,
maybe you have good reasons for dropping out unrelated to your ability
and intelligence, but speaking as a stranger, when you say "Hey guys, I
have a history of dropping out of a basic programming courses, but
don't worry, I've got the aptitude to be a programmer", it doesn't
really fill me with confidence. Perhaps that's something you should
keep more to yourself until *after* you've proven you do have the
chops?

--
Steven D'Aprano