[Tutor] Question

Knacktus knacktus at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 19 21:17:11 CEST 2010

> ~So is it better to learn 1 programming language first, then learn
> another. Or better to pretty much learn them at the same time? And why?

First, I think python is a bit underrated for creating "real"
applications. I'm amazed again and again by it's power on all
programming scales (e.g. quick and dirty csv-file hacks, medium scripts
to bigger app with gui (e.g. pyqt is unbelievable powerful) and
database-connections). So, I hardly see something of an urge for
learning c++. Python will bring you a looooooong way.

Then, I think when learning to programm, there're two big levels. Level
one is to learn the language syntax, basic algorithms, data types, etc..
The second level is how to design larger programs. How to make them as
easy and clear to understand (and to maintain) as possible. You'll find
yourself thinking about what to place where in the code, read stuff
about OO-Programming and Design Patterns etc.. I'm currently at this
level. So, if you start learning another language, it will broaden your
level 1 skills, but I think it'll be more valuable to become better at
level 2. So, once you're familiar with python, I would start creating
some bigger apps.
One thing to keep in mind is that python has a lot of patterns build in
due to its dynamic typing and first class callables. A lot of things can
be expressed much easier with python than with Java or C++. That will
leave you more brain power for innovation. But for the pure sake of
learning design patterns, Java might be a candidate.

Jan