[Tutor] Question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 20 15:57:42 CEST 2010

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote
>> Yea I took an intro to comp sci class(like 2 years ago) and a
>> computer programming logic class(also like 2 years ago) both
>> using pseudocode
>
> Good grief! How do they teach a class in computer programming using
> pseudocode???

Yes, doing that 2 years ago seems odd.
OTOH When I started at university the first year of
comp sci we did everything in pseudo code. That
was to emphasise that comp sci was the science
of computation not computer programming. So
the emphasis was on the theory of algorithms,
logic and so on. (And comp sci dept was just a
sub department of the math school...)

But that was in the days when programs were punched
out on paper tape (no card readers for me Bob :-) and
the results came back in the post two days later - usually
saying "missing semi colon: line 93". So
using pseudo code to focus on the content rather
than the mechancs made sense. 2 years ago that
surely wouldn't have been true! But maybe the prof
harked back to those "golden days"...

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site