[Tutor] Use flag to exit?

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 25 10:33:44 CEST 2010

> But I usually prefer to run the programs I write
> in an IDE's shell, unless they are GUI's, of course.

Why? That seems like a real pain to me!

> What are my options for running my
> scripts outside of an IDE?

Double click them in Windows explorer. Put a shortcut on your desktop.
All the usual options for running any kind of application.

> The Windows' command line is pretty ugly
> and inconvenient.

Its not pretty I grant you although you can change the colours and fonts.
But its pretty convenient! It just pops up when required and goes
away again when the program exits. Whats the issue?

> Copy and pasting is a PITA.

Why would you want to copy and paste?

> all that changing of directories.

Why would you need to change directory?
Provided your code doesn't rely on being in a particular directory
and can get the user to specify the target directory if necessary
you can run it from anywhere. Or set up a shortcut that specifies
the active directory.

I don't understand why you think running outside an IDE would be
a problem?

Alan G.