[Tutor] Declaring a compound dictionary structure.

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sun Mar 14 00:06:49 CET 2010

Hello,

I am stuck on the following -

                    # Define the Dates{}
dictionary structure as a dictionary
                    # containing two dictionaries,
each of which contains a list.
                    Dates =
{Today:{ThisIPAddress:[]},
Tomorrow:{ThisIPAddress:[]}}

How do I pass this declaration empty values for
Today, Tomorrow, and ThisIPAddress to initially
clare it? I have managed to pass it [] as an empty
list, but passing # "" as an empty dictionary
label does not work correctly.

      Dates = {"":"":[]}, "":{"":[]}}

The above is what I tried, and that creates a
dictionary with index values of "" for all of the
key values from the previous declaration. Is there
a way to create this comound dictionary structure
with no key values defined at all to begin with?
The reason I'd like to know is that with the
second declaration the "" indexed keys  have to be
removed after assigning at least one key value
with a non-blank name.

The idea behind the structure is to sort through a
server log that contains entries for two dates,
collecting a pair of dictionaries of ip address
indexed server log lines which can then be
iterated over to
extract daily visit counts, and other extractable
data sorted by date, and visitor.

The need would not arise if the log files did not
contain two dates each, but my service provider
rotates their server logs around 2 am, so I always
get a few entries for the next day in every log file.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html