[Tutor] Hi there :.)

mark-ireland at msn.com mark-ireland at msn.com
Mon Mar 15 16:23:30 CET 2010

Hey,
Just introducing myself to say hi........Hi!

I'm very new to programming, I got interested in it when I decided to have a go at html. When looking around for a place to start I found out that python and C++ are the usual starting place but when I found out that civilisation and eve are programmed using python (my favorite type of games), that helped make the decision. so far I've been using Create Your Own Games with Python (using python 3.1 and pygame) as a guide and been experimenting making snippets of code.

My first aim is to get comfortable with python and move on to C++ (apparently python is slow ?!?). My ultimate aim is to create a couple of ideas that I've had floating around for a while.

I've attached the snippets of code I've done so far plus the one I'm currently hitting a bit of a wall with, any sudjestions will be greatly appreciated.

test.py:

The problem i'm having with this is with the platform. I want the ball to fall if it goes off the edge but be able to jump when on the platform. it either will fall off the edge but won't jump or it will jump but it won't fall. I don't want to change the way the controls are worked (with the true/ false).

knight meets wall, wall won't let knight pass, knight says "neh"!