[Tutor] Hi there :.)

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:22:38 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM, <mark-ireland at msn.com> wrote:

>  Hey,
> Just introducing myself to say hi........Hi!
>
> I'm very new to programming, I got interested in it when I decided to have
> a go at html. When looking around for a place to start I found out that
> python and C++ are the usual starting place but when I found out that
> civilisation and eve are programmed using python (my favorite type of
> games), that helped make the decision. so far I've been using Create Your
> Own Games with Python (using python 3.1 and pygame) as a guide and been
> experimenting making snippets of code.

Welcome to Python and programming! HTML is what got me started on my path,
too. Pygame is a great package for making games with.

>  My first aim is to get comfortable with python and move on to C++
> (apparently python is slow ?!?). My ultimate aim is to create a couple of
> ideas that I've had floating around for a while.

Slow is a relative term. If C++ does something 100x faster than python, and
python can already do it in .5 seconds you won't notice much difference if
you're doing it once. If you're doing 2-d game programming Python is
certainly fast for plenty of stuff. Take a look at the games of pyweek:

http://www.pyweek.org/

Code is available for all the games so you can take a look at how they
program and that might help you with challenges you face.

HTH,
Wayne