[Tutor] Press Enter to quit. Silently maybe.

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 24 02:40:39 CET 2010

Win 7.
Some time ago, I believe under Tutor, it was suggested when quitting to
move the method I described.
Ah, I see what happened!

I had used this  in something of an earlier incarnation of the program
when some tkinter code was in use. There was a loop in the code, and the
quit code used there crept into the finish here.

Yes, no need to fiddle with the finish. Just let it reach the end.

On 3/23/2010 3:08 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:47:40 am Wayne Watson wrote:
>

>> I use this code to quit a completed program.
>>
> What on earth for? If the program is complete, just quit.
>
> In my opinion, there is very little worse than setting up a chain of
> long-running programs to run overnight, then coming back in the morning
> expecting that they will all be finished only to discover that one of
> those programs is stupidly sitting them with a "Press any key to quit"
> message, stopping all the rest from running.
>
> In my opinion, such behaviour should be a shooting offense.
>
> *wink*
>

>> If no is selected for
>> the yes/no prompt, warning messages appear in the shell window. I'm
>> executing from IDLE. Is there a way to just return to the>>>  prompt
>> there?
>>
>> def finish():
>>       print; print "Bye"
>>       print
>>       raw_input('Press Enter to quit')
>>       sys.exit()
>>
> What yes/no prompt? How do you select No?

                Stop the illegal killing of dolphins and porpoises.
                      <http://www.takepart.com/thecove>
               Wrest the control of the world's fisheries from Japan.

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>