[Tutor] "IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe" when running python with cron (alternatives?)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Mar 28 17:57:56 CEST 2010

On 3/27/2010 5:45 AM Karjer Jdfjdf said...
> I have made an extensive script that runs fine when started from the command line or IDLE.
>
> When I try to run it with cron it keeps giving errors:

Often when I have trouble running scripts from cron it's because
something in the environment is different.

Try restructuring the way you start the script from cron.  Say your cron
entry looks like:

* * * * * someone /usr/local/bin/myscript.py

Then something like:

env > /usr/local/bin/myscript.sh
echo /usr/local/bin/myscript.py >> /usr/local/bin/myscript.sh
chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/myscript.py

and change cron to

* * * * * someone /usr/local/bin/myscript.sh

and see if that helps.

Emile