[Tutor] ask

Shurui Liu (Aaron Liu) shurui91 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 18:26:21 CEST 2010

Since English is not my native language, so I got confused by some
requirement of my assignment. I already done, just want to make sure what I
did is what the assignment required, thank you!

BTW, I don't know how to do this:
If I want to fix some wrong words in a text file, how can I print out the
right/fixed text file? Like this:
My favor colour is blue. → My favourite color is blue. (Just print out the
right thing directly)

Thank you!

assignment:

1 Write a Python program named british2american.py
 that reads the contents of a text file, looks for occurances of
uniquely British spelling, and translates the occurances into the
acceptes American spelling.

1
Specifically, you will be looking for the following words: colour,
analyse, memorise, centre and recognise. If found, they are to be
replaced with color, analyze, memorize, center and recognize.

1 The following is needed for you to write your program:

1 the name of the file containing the text to be translated is storyBrit.txt
 and it is to be located in your cset1100py directory. Copy it from this
link <http://cset.sp.utoledo.edu/cset1100py/storyBrit.txt>
 to the designated location.

1 your program, british2american.py, should be located in your cset1100py
 directory on et791

1 the name of the file containing the translated output is storyAmer.txt
 and it is to located in a subdirectory off your cset1100py directory named
assign19, that is ./cset1100py/assign19/storyAmer.txt

1 the original file, storyBrit.txt, should be left unchanges
This is british2american.py
# Translate wrong British words
#Create an empty file
print "\nReading characters from the file."
raw_input("Press enter then we can move on:")
text_file = open("storyBrit.txt", "r+")
whole_thing = text_file.read()
print whole_thing
raw_input("Press enter then we can move on:")
print "\nWe are gonna find out the wrong British words."
# Press enter and change the wrong words
if "colour" in whole_thing:
    print "The wrong word is 'colour' and the right word is 'color'"
if "analyse" in whole_thing:
    print "the wrong word is 'analyse' and the right word is 'analyze'"
if "memorise" in whole_thing:
    print "the wrong word is 'memorise' and the right word is 'memorize'"
if "centre" in whole_thing:
    print "the wrong word is 'centre' and the right word is 'center'"
if "recognise" in whole_thing:
    print "the wrong word is 'recognise' and the right word is 'recognize'"
if "honour" in whole_thing:
    print "the wrong word is 'honour' and the right word is 'honor'"
# We are gonna save the right answer to storyAmer.txt
w = open('storyAmer.txt', 'w')
w.write('I am really glad that I took CSET 1100.')
w.write('\n')
w.write('We get to analyse all sorts of real-world problems.\n')
w.write('\n')
w.write('We also have to memorize some programming language syntax.')
w.write('\n')
w.write('But, the center of our focus is game programming and it is fun.')
w.write('\n')
w.write('Our instructor adds color to his lectures that make them
interesting.')
w.write('\n')
w.write('It is an honor to be part of this class!')
w.close()

This is storyAmer.txt(right one):
I am really glad that I took CSET 1100.We get to analyze all sorts of
real-world problems.We also have to memorize some programming language
syntax. But, the center of our focus is game programming and it is fun.Our
instructor adds colour to his lectures that make them interesting.It is an
honor to be part of this class!

This is storyBrit.txt(wrong one):
I am really glad that I took CSET 1100.We get to analise all sorts of
real-world problems.We also have to memorise some programming language
syntax. But, the centre of our focus is game programming and it is fun.Our
instructor adds colour to his lectures that make them interesting.It is an
honour to be part of this class!

Thank you very much!

--
Shurui Liu (Aaron Liu)
Computer Science & Engineering Technology