[Tutor] portability of pickle and shelve across platforms and different python versions?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Thu May 6 16:38:39 CEST 2010

Garry,

I asked a similar question on Stackoverflow.com and got some
great responses including at least one from a member of the
Python development team.

Best way to save complex Python data structures across program
sessions (pickle, json, xml, database, other)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2003693/best-way-to-save-compl
ex-python-data-structures-across-program-sessions-pickle

To cut-to-the-chase: I believe pickle files are portable across
platforms and versions. I do not know how portable shelve files
are.

Malcolm