[Tutor] Is the difference in outputs with different size input lists due to limits on memory with PYTHON?

Art Kendall Art at DrKendall.org
Thu May 6 21:46:52 CEST 2010

On 5/6/2010 1:51 PM, Dave Angel wrote:
> Art Kendall wrote:

>>> Which is how big?  Currently you (unnecessarily) load the entire
>>> thing into memory with readlines().  And then you do confusing work
>>> to split it apart again, into one list element per paper.   And for
>>> a while there, you have three copies of the entire text.  You're
>>> keeping two copies, in the form of alltext and papers.
>>> You print out the len(papers).  What do you see there?  Is it
>>> correctly 87 ?  If it's not, you have to fix the problem here,
>>> before even going on.

>>> range(len()) is un-pythonic.  Simply do
>>>         for paper in papers:
>>>
>>> and of course use paper below instead of papers[p]

>>> If you're memory limited, you really should sequence through the
>>> files, only loading one at a time, rather than all at once.  It's no
>>> harder.  Use dirlist() to make a list of files, then your loop
>>> becomes something like:
>>>
>>> for  infile in filelist:
>>>      paper = " ".join(open(infile, "r").readlines())
>>>
>>> Naturally, to do it right, you should use    with...  Or at least
>>> close each file when done.
>>>
>>> DaveA
>>>

>> Thank you for getting back to me. I am trying to generalize a process
>> that 50 years ago used 30 terms on the whole file and I am using the
>> task of generalizing the process to learn python.   In the post I
>> sent there were comments to myself about things that I would want to
>> learn about.  One of the first is to learn about processing all files
>> in a folder, so your reply will be very helpful.  It seems that
>> dirlist() should allow me to include the filespec in the output file
>> which would be very helpful.
>>
>> to rephrase my questions.
>> Is there a way to tell python to use more RAM?
>>
>> Does python use the same array space over as it counts the
>> occurrences for each input document? Or does it keep every row of the
>> output someplace even after it has written it to the output? If it
>> does keep old arrays, is there a way to "close" the output array in
>> RAM between documents
>>
>> I narrowed down the problem.  With 4035 terms it runs OK.  With 4040
>> the end of the output matrix is messed up.  I do not think it is a
>> limit of my resources that gets in the way.  I have 352G of free hard
>> disk if it goes virtual.   I have 8G of RAM.  Even if python turns
>> out to be strictly 32Bit I think it would be able to use 3G of RAM.
>> The input file is 1.1M so that should be able to fit in RAM many times.
>>
>> P.S. I hope I remembered correctly that this list put replies at the
>> bottom.
>> Art
>>
> Python comes in 32 and 64 bit versions, so it depends on which you're
> running.  A 32bit executable under Windows is restricted to 2gb,
> regardless of physical RAM or disk capacity.  There is a way to
> configure that in boot.ini to use 3gb instead, but it doesn't work in
> all circumstances.  Perhaps in 64bit Windows, it lets you use 3gb.

> [...]

Dave,
Thank you.
87 is what  print len(papers) puts on the screen at the beginning of the
run. There are 86 papers in the file.

I checked and each paper starts with "FEDERALIST No."

When I use the 30 original terms, or the 70 used later by others, the
output data has the correct document numbers, 1-69, 2 versions of 70,
and 71 to 85 in the 86 rows of the output. (which is what I see when I
read the text into a word processor). Also the number of output lines
that do not start with the correct document number increases as the
number of terms increases past 4035.  4045 and 4045 have 84 lines start
correctly. 8000 terms has only the first document number read correctly.

  I make no changes to the python code when I run with a longer list of
terms.  I make no changes to the original txt file I received.  All I
change is the number of terms in allWords.txt. All of the longer lists
of terms include the terms on the shorter list so counts should not be
sparser with a longer list of terms to count.  All papers should have
some counts.

I checked and the python screen says
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:46:50) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32
so RAM cannot be the problem.

I'll cut the big file down into 1 paper per file, put the paper number
into the name of the file, and try that. I only need the papers
concatenated to get the list of all words that occur in any file.  Right
now I use NoteTab to cut and paste that list anyways so I don't need to
have 1 big file for python.  (As I learn python a later task would be to
generate that list via python.)

BTW is Python some kind of a grandchild to Algol which was around in the
early 70's?  It seems reminiscent.

Art