[Tutor] Displaying picture and Text

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:06:58 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> <patty at cruzio.com> wrote
>

>  of my python program where a picture is supposed to display with a few
>> lines of text below it.
>>

> To do this you will need to use some kind of GUI.
> The simplest option is probably  to use the Text widget in Tkinter
> which can display both Images and text.

I'll second the motion. You can probably write the most basic functions in
less than 50 lines

<snip>

>  How do I get any picture to display on half a screen then my print text
>> display below that and stay on screen for 2 or 3 minutes before I call
>> another function that will redraw the screen anyway - it will be
>> interactive text responses with the user.  Also this is a test .gif file,
>> I may want to just edit the source file and change this to a .jpg.
>>

> The Tkinter PhotoImage object can display jpg. I can't recall if
> it does gifs. If you want to habndle many types yoyu may need to
> look at using an image convertion library too.

PIL (What you have installed to use the Image library) allows you to convert
basically any image to a format you can use in Tkinter.

There is a short example here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1236540/how-do-i-use-pil-with-tkinter

HTH,
Wayne