[Tutor] Programs for Newbies?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 6 06:40:12 CET 2010

Danyelle Davis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any suggestions for a newbie to program while learning python?  I am new to
> programming and python.

What are you interested in?

Interested in maths? Write a program to generate prime numbers, or to
search for amicable numbers. Look at Project Euler, although (in my
opinion) the puzzles there are quite hard are require a lot of maths
know-how.

Write a number guessing game. Or Hangman or Battleship.

Try the Python Challenge:
http://www.pythonchallenge.com/

More puzzle sites here, written in other languages but you can solve
them in Python if you like:

http://sixrevisions.com/resources/10-puzzle-websites-to-sharpen-your-programming-skills/

Unfortunately, most of them seem to be aimed at people who aren't
newbies. I think the world needs a good set of programming puzzles for
beginners.

Good luck!

--
Steven