[Tutor] Commercial or Famous Applicattions.?

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 02:46:36 CET 2010

just off the top of my head...
NASA uses it.  Lots of games use Python as their game logic/scripting
language (how many use PHP? probably approaching 0.  LUA is more
popular than Python but Python is much  more popular than PHP).  The
first ever bittorrent client (the official one) was written in Python.
 The game Eve Online is written completely in Python.  Youtube uses
lots of Python, Facebook uses some.  Reddit is written in Python as
well.  Google App Engine has both Python and Java interfaces.  They
don't have a PHP interface; I wonder why?

Lots of jobs at Google (even Java jobs and such) require Python
experience; they don't tend to require PHP experience too.  Because
PHP doesn't really teach you much.  The syntax is not nearly as
elegant.  It's buggy and rough around the edges.  They have gross
workarounds for a lot of things that should be language features.

That's not to say that Python's the only language that is better than
PHP for most things.  Ruby is also a good option.  But these languages
are both infinitely more flexible _right now_ (not based almost solely
for web apps) and better to use for almost everything than PHP.

PHP has its place, and part of the reason it still has that place is
because a lot of web hosts haven't started hosting Python and Ruby
frameworks in a scalable, fast way.  But it's not the frameworks'
fault.

That's just my 2c.