[Tutor] What is a "state variable"?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 12 10:27:55 CET 2010

"Richard D. Moores" <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote

> Is k then a state variable in that its state is 23? What sorts of
> variables are, and are not, state variables?
>
> The concept of a state variable seems central to Kent's article. If
> only I knew exactly what it was.

First, do you understand what ste is in mathematical/computing terms?
That is critical to understanding what state variables are?

For example if I say that the state of any object can be represented
by a vector whose values correspond to the collected set of variables
of the object, does that make sense?

If not, we need to go back to consider what state is and why
it is important in computing.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site