[Tutor] 'pydoc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, ...

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 13 00:44:41 CET 2010

R Johnson wrote:
> 'pydoc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
> or batch file.

This means that the program "pydoc" is not installed on your computer,
or is installed somewhere where the operating system (I'm guessing
you're using Windows?) can't find it.

Use the Find File command, and see if you can find something called
"pydoc". You may need to call the full path to the program, e.g.:

C:\My Documents\path\to\program\pydoc raw_input

or you may need to install it :)

> So, I go back to the terminal and type: python
> Then I type: pydoc raw_input
> The computer spits back:
> File "<stdin>", line1
>   pydoc raw_input
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> (There is a carrot symbol under the "t" of input.)

pydoc is an external tool made with Python, it is not a Python command
you can run. However, Python does come with an internal tool that is
nearly as powerful: help().

 From the Python prompt, type:

help(raw_input)

and Enter, and you will get something very close to what pydoc would
have given you.

--
Steven