[Tutor] Math: integers to a fractional power

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:30:37 CET 2010

> 	OK, so I have a question for you math people: I am trying to solve a quartic equation (Ax^4 + Bx^3 + Cx^2 + Dx + E) using Ferrari's Method, which I found on Wikipedia at this location.
>
> 	I'm using Python 3.1.2 (on Mac OS X 10.6, in case that matters).
>
> 	First, since I don't know Python very well, I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this, without having to install any modules. (I can't figure out how to put anything on my PYTHONPATH).
>
> 	If not there is not an easier way without installing a module, could someone recommend a module AND give me a link to detailed instructions for how to install it?
>
> 	I would PERFER to continue using Ferrari's Method, but am not opposed to trying something else.
>
> 	My only problem when using Ferrari's Method was this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "Problem309.py", line 135, in <module>
>     print(main())
>   File "Problem309.py", line 127, in main
>     math.pow(L1, 2)-math.pow(L2, 2))
>   File "Problem309.py", line 73, in sQuartic
>     W = math.pow(alpha + 2 * y, 1/2)
> TypeError: can't convert complex to float

This may be more a result from the underlying C math library (also the exception you got below); I think the functions in that library are called when using functions from the math module, and the C library only works for non-complex numbers.
You could have a look at the cmath module. However, you won't find a pow() function there.

Instead, try using the built-in power operator: **, and use complex():
>>> complex(-27)**1/3.
(-9+0j)
>>> complex(-4)**(1/2.)
(1.2246467991473532e-16+2j)

Note the (classic) inaccuracy problem of floating points: the real part should simply be 0.
(Also, create complex numbers with an imaginary part != 0 as:
>>> complex(5, -2)
(5-2j)
)

Would that help you?