[Tutor] List help

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Nov 21 00:37:35 CET 2010

On 11/20/2010 11:06 AM george wu said...
> x=0
> y=0
> w=raw_input("Input: ")
> w=list(w)
> for x in range(len(w)):
>    a=w[x]
>    t=0
>    print a
>    if a==2 or a==4 or a==6 or a==8 or a==10:
>      t=a/2
>      print "hi"
>
> When I run this program, it doesn't print "hi". Can you please tell me why?

When you're comparing a to 2,4,6,8,10  a is a string representing the
nth position of the input value w as iterated over with x.

Specifically, a=w[x] which is the list of the input value.

 >>> list("hello")
 >>> list("1234")

You then compare a string to the numbers 2,4,6,8,10

making the test line:

if a=="2" or a=="4 or a=="6" or a=="8":

should make it print hi.  Note I dropped the 10 as a single charter
string would never match.

All this is likely beside the point -- what were you trying to have happen?

Emile