[Tutor] Random Number Question

Piotr Kamiński piotr-kam at o2.pl
Fri Nov 26 18:33:07 CET 2010

Dnia 25-11-2010 o 13:20:22 Mac Ryan <quasipedia at gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 11:09:10 +0100
> Timo <timomlists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I was wondering... apart from checking each name individually, is
>> > there any easy-peasy way to get a list of names used in the
>> > standard library (I am thinking to something like "dir(....)"?
>> This is the webpage I always use for searching an appropriate module:
>> http://docs.python.org/modindex.html
>
> I was more thinking to some introspective capacity of python itself
> rather than a web page... yet, thank you for the link that I did not
> know beforehand! :)
>
> Mac.

You can get the list of Python's standard modules by typing help() and
then you will see something similar to:

>>> help()

Welcome to Python 2.6!  This is the online help utility.

If this is your first time using Python, you should definitely check out
the tutorial on the Internet at http://docs.python.org/tutorial/.

Enter the name of any module, keyword, or topic to get help on writing
Python programs and using Python modules.  To quit this help utility and
return to the interpreter, just type "quit".

To get a list of available modules, keywords, or topics, type "modules",
"keywords", or "topics".  Each module also comes with a one-line summary
of what it does; to list the modules whose summaries contain a given word
such as "spam", type "modules spam".

help> modules

=======
The last paragraph of the message shows the answer to you question.

HTH,

Piotr