[Tutor] Web Harvesting & AJAX/Javascript

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Nov 29 21:37:27 CET 2010

On 11/29/2010 11:42 AM Roy Hinkelman said...
> All,
>
> I am working on a project to automate the harvesting of a site that uses
> Javascript throughout it's navigation. So, I want to follow onclick and
> mouseover events that use JS functions, and capture/display the resulting
> info. My script is activated by an onload event.
>
> I just want to make sure that I am headed in the right direction, and not
> missing something!. Any advise or pointers appreciated.
>
> Researching this has led me to PAMIE and Selenium. PAMIE is giving me
> problems with permissions, and the discussion group appears to be fading
> away. I have not tried Selenium yet. Both open a browser instance, and PAMIE
> is quite slow, and I expect Selenium to be quite slow as well.
>
> How are you navigating around these Javascript based pages? Is there a
> library or plugin that I am missing?

Hi Roy,

I've had a couple of these types of projects on my ToDo list for a while
and haven't researched them yet.  I suspect you'll get better traction
on the main python list, but I've been surprised before...

Looking forward to seeing what direction you get pointed in.

Emile