[Tutor] OpenMP

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Oct 11 10:06:41 CEST 2010

Alan Gauld, 09.10.2010 19:50:
> Now, the bad news is that so far as I know the python interpreter
> does not expose its threading model to the OS to even if you use
> threads the interpreter itself will still be running on a single CPU
> core. :-(

Python's threads are native system threads. They can run fully concurrent
on a multiprocessor system with the only exception that only one thread can
use the interpreter at a time. However, everything that runs in C code can
run in parallel and I/O will usually also work in parallel (which is the
main use case of threads anyway).

Stefan