[Tutor] Hiding Superclass Methods

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 12 00:52:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 01:55:10 am Adam Bark wrote:
> On 11/10/10 15:29, Denis Gomes wrote:
> > Thank you both for your responses.  I do have one other question if
> > I use the method both of you describe. How do I go about
> > implementing slicing and indexing for an object in python?  A list
> > object innately has them and that is really why I wanted to use it.
> >  I would appreciate it if you can point me to something.
> > Denis
>
> You can use __getslice__, __setslice__ etc. methods. They're detailed
> in the list docstrings. Here's an example of using __getslice__

__getslice __setslice__ and __delslice__ have been deprecated since
version 2.0, seven versions ago.

http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html#object.__getslice__

You should use __getitem__ __setitem__ and __delitem__, and detect if
your argument is an integer or a slice object, and behave accordingly.

http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html#object.__getitem__

--
Steven D'Aprano