[Tutor] Moving my C++ code to Python?

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Sat Oct 16 05:51:31 CEST 2010

SWIG supports opaque pointers that you can pass into and out of Python without
any problems.

Working with SWIG isn't that bad for basic stuff, although it can get
complicated if you need to have it interpret exotica like references,
structures, or such for Python.  Having a good C++ background should cut a lot
of the difficulty out of that, though.  The documentation is pretty good,
although finding what you need can involve a lot of scrolling around in long
web pages.
http://www.swig.org/

If you are going to use a command line interface, you might check out these
modules from the standard library:
http://docs.python.org/library/cmd.html
http://docs.python.org/library/shlex.html

You might also see if numpy can replace some of your C++ code.  It's fast, and
integrated into Python.
http://numpy.scipy.org/

Cheers