[Tutor] updating a Csv file

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 15:29:13 CEST 2010

Hi Steven and Dave,

Thanks for replying to me. Steven, I pasted the traceback below, along with some version info. I'm using Windows XP. I used the very same code as the one I posted before, including the string.letters bit. Btw, thanks for the little 'list' tip.

Dave, what you say makes sense. I tried updating the old values with new values of exactly the same length (10 characters), but that didn't work either (I simply used [ch * 10 for ch in string.letters[0:9]] --list trick not possible here ;-)). I pasted the contents of my test csv file below the traceback.

Anyway, thanks again for your time!

Python 2.6 (r26:66721, Oct  2 2008, 11:35:03) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

IDLE 2.6

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\UserXP\Bureaublad\test.py", line 18, in <module>
    newLine = [ch for ch in string.letters[0:9]])
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\UserXP\Bureaublad\test.py", line 10, in updateLine
    for row  in r:
Error: line contains NULL byte

Id,NaamInstelling,Naam3,Straat,HuisNr,Postcode,Plaats,dummy
MQrrSzDboW,XWvxiqlrEp,ERQewcVYva,ppBXnpeCOs,HTmVvHRVhH,KHvjNHIYeM,bcEMrYPmuB,w
hawxgXvbfu,VqiCmTSwdD,GUcoNnXUyL,LJexEROxrN,aPIuRapjDS,YUNJHBmCsQ,mQWbajBxKm,ww
JSIXUYMxMt,CNebFXwmtZ,GTHQMyYUwT,XgRdYuFtfY,WyIeoiqqnC,SpbJWgDsHo,ZEuIXNujUd,www
hawxgXvbfu,VqiCmTSwdD,GUcoNnXUyL,LJexEROxrN,aPIuRapjDS,YUNJHBmCsQ,mQWbajBxKm,ww

Cheers!!

Albert-Jan

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?