[Tutor] What is random.triangular() used for

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Oct 24 22:29:44 CEST 2010

On 10/24/2010 1:17 PM Richard D. Moores said...
> In looking through the doc on the random module I came across
> random.triangular():

> random.triangular(low, high, mode)
> Return a random floating point number N such that low<= N<= high and
> with the specified mode between those bounds. The low and high bounds
> default to zero and one. The mode argument defaults to the midpoint
> between the bounds, giving a symmetric distribution.
>
> New in version 2.6.
>
> I fooled around with it a bit and wrote this rough demo:
> <http://tutoree7.pastebin.com/s4J0Ww12>
>
> The skewing and centering possible by varying the mode, are obvious,
> but how is random.trangular() actually used?

 From people who would know found at
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.random.triangular.html

"""The triangular distribution is often used in ill-defined problems
where the underlying distribution is not known, but some knowledge of
the limits and mode exists. Often it is used in simulations."""

HTH,

Emile