[Tutor] How to print the installed web browser

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Sep 1 12:49:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 03:24:58 pm Ranjith Kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I`m using ubuntu how to find and print the installed web
> browsers using python scripting.

You already asked this question on the 9th of August, in an email
titled "Need a mentor":

4) Lastly I need to know is how to print the list of web browsers
installed on a machine.

The answer is the same now as it was then:

You can't.

I gave a much longer reply back then. But in summary:

* there's no canonical list of web browsers you could look for;
* there's no reliable way of recognizing a web browser short of human
intelligence;
* it's not even clear what a web browser is.

Obviously a web browser is something that can browse the WWW, but that's
much, much broader than just Firefox and IE. Python can browse the web.
Does that mean Python is a web browser? Adobe Acrobat can download
upgrades over the web. Does that make it a web browser? How about curl
or wget?

Many applications can read files remotely over http. Some of them can
follow embedded hyperlinks. Are they web browsers?

--
Steven D'Aprano