[Tutor] Multiple versions of python and paths problems

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:00:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Dominique <mydomdom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Gauld <alan.gauld <at> btinternet.com> writes:
>

>> How do you start IDLE? Is it via a desktop or start menu shortcut?
>> If so what is the startin folder specified as?
> Hello,
> First, thanks to you David, Alan and Dave for your help.
>
> Start with shortcut whose path is : "D:\Python25\python.exe" or
> "D:\Python25\python.exe -E -S".
>
>> What happens when you run it from the command ine with no extra
>> parameters - what error do you get?
> All paths related to python 2.6 and python 2.5 are imported (visible through
> sys.path)in both cases.
> The error is when launching the app which needs PIL, numpy... from 2.5 and not
> 2.6 (the versions imported are those of 2.6, causing the app to crash)
>
> Note that paths are not imported only by launching D:\python25\python.exe -E -S
> in a DOS CONSOLE.
>
>> Do you have both versions of Python in your environment variables?
> Yes
>
>> In which order?
>
> PATH is as follows (one by line):
> %SystemRoot%\system32;
> %SystemRoot%;
> %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
> D:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;
> D:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;
> D:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;
> D:\OpenCV2.1\bin;
> D:\Python26;
> d:\Python26\Scripts;
> D:\Python26\Lib\site-packages;
> D:\Python25;
> D:\Python25\Scripts;
> D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages;
> D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pyvision\releases\pyvision_0.8.1\src\;
> D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\opencv

> PYTHONPATH is as follows:
> D:\Python26\Lib\site-packages;
> D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages;
> D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\pyvision\releases\pyvision_0.8.1\src\
>
> Which order should I use ?

If I'm still understanding the original question, if you right click
on a file, in Windows, and it says edit with idle, then idle is the
last version of python idle you've installed. If you call python from
the command prompt then it should be the first c:/pythonversionnumber
in environment variables that is called. so if you have
c:/python25;c:/python26;c:python3 then you should get 2.5 in command
prompt if you type python.

Paths, from what I know are lists, and the order is what you want to
be shown first to your program.