[Tutor] Python command calls the wrong version!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 8 10:45:45 CEST 2010

>> I am new to Python, having perviously used IDL for all my scripts.
> I was hoping to use Python and so I have just downloaded and
> installed
> version 2.6 using the mac installer. That all went fine.
>>
>> I then opened up X11, all fine.

Why did you open X11?
If you used the Mac installer(*) it should run as a standard Mac
program,
no need for X?

What happens if you type Python into the standard MacOS Terminal
application?

Running X adds a whole bunch of extra path and environment issues
to resolve, it might be easier to get it running in the vanilla MacOS
first.

(*) BTW Which Mac installer? - there are at least 3 that I know of!

Just a thought.

Alan G.