[Tutor] hashlib problems

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 22:54:39 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Luke Paireepinart
<rabidpoobear at gmail.com> wrote:
> In general, you shouldn't even hint at the possibility of there being a bug in the code unless you have test cases and a patch handy. Especially something as widely used as hashlib. It  gives An air of arrogance about your post, whether you intend it or not.
> I think your issue got resolved already, just thought it might help to have a bit of an explication about hacker culture.
> See Eric raymond's how to ask questions the smart way for much more information.  Sad as it is, your initial impressions will actually govern how likely you are to get replies.
>
> Food for thought!

Luke and the rest of the list:

I know it can be perceived as arrogant to suggest a bug and not have
at least some effort behind the statement.  Given the response of the
missing parentheses I can certainly understand why you would think
that about some new comer to the list.

What you didn't know (and what I didn't say because it wasn't relative
to the question) was what I had done on my own to figure it out.  You
need to know that I'm also mildly dyslexic and sometimes miss or
transpose things when I read them.  Going back and re-reading the
documentation again but this time knowing what to look for, I can
indeed see that I missed the "()"s.  It turns out I missed them in
several places.

But reading and re-reading that same document over the course of two
days did not reveal the problem.  I was as confident as I could be
that I was reading the documentation correctly and was following
proper syntax.

I will apologize for the tone and using the word "bug" without
sufficient evidence, and I will be more thorough in the future.

Once I get past a few basic questions I hope that my contributions to
the list can overcome this little hiccup.

Rance