[Tutor] wierd replace problem

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:07:19 CEST 2010

  On 9/13/2010 8:19 AM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this string called test with the contents of 'het is een wonder \\TIS'
>
> Now I want to get rid of the \\ so I do this : test2 = test.replace ('\\', '')
> And I get at the python prompt this answer : 'het is een wonder TIS'
> So that's right.
>
> Now I try the same in a IDE with this programm :
>
> woorden =[]
> letter_counts = {}
> file = open ('alice_in_wonderland.txt', 'r')
> for line in file:
>      line2 = line.replace ("\\","")
>      line3 = line2.lower()
>      woorden = line3.split()
>      for letter in woorden:
>          letter_counts[letter] = letter_counts.get (letter, 0) + 1
> letter_items = letter_counts.items()
> letter_items.sort()
> print letter_items
>
> But now Im gettting this output :
>
> [('"\'tis', 1),
>
> Why does the \ stays here. It should have gone as the test in the python prompt says.
I ran your program against a 1 line file containing 'het is een wonder
\\TIS'
The result I get is [('een', 1), ('het', 1), ('is', 1), ('tis', 1),
('wonder', 1)]

Dunno why you are getting a different result.

Here is where using the debugger and going step by step can help. I have
no experience with the IDLE debugger. Perhaps others can offer advice on
that.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239