[Tutor] FW: wierd replace problem

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 14 01:17:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:05:33 am bob gailer wrote:

> > 3.Write a program called alice_words.py that creates a text file
> > named alice_words.txt containing an alphabetical listing of all the
> > words found in alice_in_wonderland.txt together with the number of
> > times each word occurs. The first 10 lines of your output file
> > should look something like this: Word Count
> > =======================
> > a 631
> > a-piece 1
> > abide 1
> > able 1
> > about 94
> > above 3
> > absence 1
> > absurd 2
> > How many times does the word, alice, occur in the book?
>
> We still do not have a definition of "word". Only some examples.

Nor do we have a definition of "text", "file", "alphabetical", "first",
"10", "lines", "definition", or "overly pedantic".

A reasonable person would use the common meaning of all of these words,
unless otherwise told differently. In this case, the only ambiguity is
whether hyphenated words like "a-piece" should count as two words or
one, but fortunately the example above clearly shows that it should
count as a single word.

This is an exercise, not a RFC. Be reasonable.

--
Steven D'Aprano