[Tutor] Writing to Sound

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 15 11:24:09 CEST 2010

"Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote

> First off, here is what I'm doing. I'm taking pi (3.141592 etc. etc.
> etc.), taking two values at a time, and then mapping the two values
> to pitch and length. I'm then using winsound.Beep to beep for x ms,
> at y frequency.

So far I understand.

> What I want to do, is write that to file.

Write what?
The sound generated by Beep or the data used to drive Beep?

> Judging from
> http://codingmess.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-simple-wav-file-with-python.html,
> it seems to be more complex than I care to undertake without
> exploring the possibilities.

That tells you how to make a wav file that will play in any standard
player program. Is that what you want?

> Are there any simpler or higher level ways?

It depends what you want the file to be. What do you intend to do with
the file?

> wouldn't mind something like sound_file.write(freq, length) like
> Beep does, but that may or may not exist.

You can write the two values to a file so that you can read it back
and send the values to Beep. Thats trivial. But the file will not play
in a
standard player.

> I dunno, a simple google doesn't yield anything.

That probably depends on what you are searching for.
I'm not clear from your description what you want to do.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site