[Tutor] I am looking for a book on Beginners who never programmed before or have no experience in programming

Jeremy Jones jemejones at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:39:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 07:37:12 pm Jeremy Jones wrote:
>
>> "Head First Programming: A Learner's Guide to Programming Using the
>> Python Language" by David Griffiths and Paul Barry was a great read.
>> It's unconventional (by their nature, all Head First books are),
>

> I've never heard of "Head First Programming" -- how are they
> unconventional?

Both HF Programming (currently out) and HF Python (currently being
written) are very example-driven and in the course of each example,
introduce a number of concepts.  So, rather than having a chapter on
lists, the books introduce lists as a part of an evolving example.
The "conventional" approach (in my view) is splitting a book into
chapters of such topics as variables, operators, lists, dicts, OO,
etc.  So, I hope that I conveyed the "unconventional" as a good thing,
because I definitely see it as such.  I love these books.  Honestly,
it's enjoyable to me just to see the craft these folks use to evolve a
problem and weave in new concepts all along the way.