[Tutor] I am looking for a book on Beginners who neverprogrammed before or have no experience in programming

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 29 02:15:46 CEST 2010

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote

> I've never heard of "Head First Programming" -- how are they
> unconventional?

They are a bit too "cutesy" for my liking, slow to get to any depth
but engaging for the sound-byte generation. Lots of cartoons and
jokes. I'd say its a bit like O'Reilly's take on the Dummies books.

I was briefly involved in reviewing an early HF Python book but it was
so
badly done the project was scrapped while they found a new writing
team.
They obviously have done this and I hope its now a good book because
I could see the merit in the style. But cute style still needs
accurate
content! I will be looking out for it in my local bookshop, the
editorial
team were very keen to see that the end product should be good.

Alan G.