[Tutor] PyVISA GPIB

Donald Bedsole drbedsole at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:00:28 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM,  <markrivet at gsoftcon.com> wrote:
>  I would like to control electronic instruments with PyVISA. I have downloaded PyVISA and unpacked the files into the Python27/lib/site-packages dir and in the IDLE
> GUI I run "import visa' for a quick check and I get this error:
>
> import visa
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<pyshell#25>", line 1, in <module>
>    import visa
> ImportError: No module named visa
>
> I'm scratching my head. Help
>
> Mark R Rivet, Genesis Software Consulting
> ASCT(Computer Technologies), BSIT/SE(Software Engineering)
> Electrical Engineering Technician
> Member IEEE, Computer Society
>

> Do or do not; there is no try.

Could this be the problem?

PyVISA doesn’t implement VISA itself. Instead, PyVISA provides
bindings to the VISA library (a DLL or
“shared object” file). This library is usually shipped with your GPIB
interface or software like LabVIEW. Alternatively, you can download it
from your favourite equipment vendor (National Instruments, Agilent,
etc).

quote from this document:

http://pyvisa.sourceforge.net/pyvisa.pdf