[Tutor] Help - accumulator not working (Lea)

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 00:47:21 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Lea Parker <lea-parker at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hello
>

> I am trying to create this program for a uni assignment. I cannot get it to
> add the expenses to the accumulator I have set. Would you mind having a look
> and letting me know if I have something in the wrong place or indented
> incorrectly. Perhaps I am missing something.
>

> There could be other things wrong but I need to fix this first and then I
> can focus on the next thing. I have difficulty trying to fix lots of things
> at once so if you could just comment on the problem and I will ask again if
> I can’t work out the next problem I have. I like to have a go myself first.
>

> My code is:
>

> """This program is to calculate if the user is over or under budget
>
> for the month"""
>

> def main():
>

>     # Create an accumulator
>
>     total_expense = 0.0
>

>     # Ask user for the monthly budget
>
>     budget = float(raw_input('Enter the amount of your budget for the
> month: $'))

above here is good

>     # Calculate a series of expenses
>
>     expense = float(raw_input('Enter your first expense $'))

I would remove the input above and move it to your loop.

>      # Accumlate expense
>
>     total_expense = total_expense + expense

above you don't need this since you haven't added anything yet (see below)

I set expense to 1 just to get the loop started.  It could be anything but 0

>     # Continue processing as long as the user
>
>     # does not enter 0
>
>     while expense != 0:
>

>         #Get another expense
>
>         expense = float(raw_input('Enter the next expense or 0 to finish
> $'))
>

>         #Calculate surplus
>
>         surplus = budget - total_expense
>

>     #Display results
>
>     print 'Your total expenses for the month $', total_expense
>
>     print 'Your surplus amount after expenses $', surplus
>

> # Call the main function.
>
> main()
>

> Thank you.

def main():
    # Create an accumulator
    total_expense = 0.0
    # Ask user for the monthly budget
    budget = float(raw_input('Enter the amount of your budget for the month:
$'))

    expense = 1
    total_expense = 0
    while expense != 0:
        #Get another expense
        expense = float(raw_input('Enter the next expense or 0 to finish
$'))
        #Calculate surplus
        total_expense = total_expense + expense
        surplus = budget - total_expense

    print budget, total_expense
    #Display results
    print 'Your total expenses for the month $', total_expense
    print 'Your surplus amount after expenses $', surplus

main()

Good luck with your course

--
Joel Goldstick