[Tutor] distutils site.cfg variable expansion

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Thu Apr 28 22:24:16 CEST 2011

I'm learning my way around package building using setuptools, and
would like to have scripts for a system administration package
installed under $(prefix)/sbin instead of under the default
$(prefix)/bin directory without requiring the installer to use
the manual 'python setup.py install --install-scripts=...'.

I would like to have something in the setup.cfg file like this
which would be handled by the normal ConfigParser expansion.
Either I have the syntax wrong, or the setuptools/distutils
configuration parsing is different.

[global]
prefix=/path/to/prefix

[install]
install-scripts=%(prefix)s/sbin

Better yet would be for the prefix to be available from the
command line or taken from sys.prefix if not specified.

Is there a way to do this other than fiddling the site.cfg file?

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile.
    -- Hunter S. Thompson