[Tutor] which version do i have and how do i change it

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 16 10:05:44 CEST 2011

On 16/08/11 07:52, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2011 00:48:08 Walter Prins wrote:
> >> So i installed python 2.7.1 on my linux and i bought a book that
> requires
> >> python 3 so installed python 3, and i used terminal and typed in python
> >> -V and it said 2.7.1 how do i get it to be 3 (i tried deleting it but i
> >> couldn't what should i do?)
> >
> > Try
> >
> > python3 -V
> >
> > The default is probably still Python2 but that does not mean you
> can't use
> > Python explicitly.
>
> If you prefer to have Python 3 only, you could also uninstall Python
> 2.7.1.
> You do not say what version of what distro you are using, nor what
> method you
> used to install Python 2, so I can't be more explicit.

You might need to ensure that you have at least 1 version of Python2 around
because a lot of Linux tools are still written in v2 and might break if you
uninstall all v2 versions...

I'd go with the python3 tip, that's what I use with 2 versions of Python...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site