[Tutor] which version do i have and how do i change it

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 16 18:06:42 CEST 2011

On 16/08/11 10:14, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2011 09:05:44 Alan Gauld wrote:
> > You might need to ensure that you have at least 1 version of Python2
> around
> > because a lot of Linux tools are still written in v2 and might break
> if you
> > uninstall all v2 versions...
>
> Thanks for that, Alan.  I knew that I had Python 2 by default and did
> not have
> to install it, but had not queried why.
It can be hard to tell, sometimes distro designers just think something
is useful.
For example many Linux users nowadays have no use for gcc but it is usually
packaged anyway.

> If it was already on the system , I wonder why the OP needed to
> install it?

I suspect that the default was probably version 2.5 or 2.6 (My Ubuntu
10.04 has 2.6)
So if OP installed 2.7 it would be additional.

My concern was that if they uninstalled 2.7 the default would revert to
2.6 (or
whatever) and they might then be tempted to uninstall that too!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site