[Tutor] Standard way to create debian packages for python programs?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Thu Aug 18 18:48:19 CEST 2011

To be honest, even after reading your original post twice (now knowing you are actually asking a Python question) I am unsure what Python question you are asking.

>Now my questions:
>
>1. Is my understanding of the process correct? Is there anything I am
>   missing, or anything that I got wrong?

No clue, I use Debian and Python but never in attempt to build a package.

>2. Step e) is really the more confusing to me: specifically the two
>   points that remains most obscure to me are:
>   I.  How do I write a script that install a stand-alone programe?

I assume you can use Python and os.system or better yet subprocess (worst case scenario Python calls the other utils). This is not really a python specific question and you did not mention distutils here. Either way I have no clue, sorry.

>   II. What are the specificities for DEB packages? The official
>       documentation only seems to deal with RPM and Windows stuff...

Not a Python question and no clue.

>3. Is there any "reasonable sized" source of information that you would
>   recommend me to read [by "reasonable sized" I mean something
>   specific to python and concise, rather that the complete debian
>   policy on packaging].

Not a Python question and no clue.

>4. Any word of wisdom / additional info you would like to share?

Again, not really a Python question. The Debian forum is probably far more likely to know. You will also have much better luck on the main Python list because there is a much larger userbase. Also, because Ubuntu is based off Debian (i.e. share package management systems) and is highly popular, you may want to see if there is any web information on Python + Ubuntu for packaging.

Something like: http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/video?name=linuxJensMakingDeb  OR http://ghantoos.org/2008/10/19/creating-a-deb-package-from-a-python-setuppy/ OR
http://ask.debian.net/questions/how-to-build-a-pure-python-debian-package

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002