[Tutor] Modules and Python tutorial by S. Thurlow - opinions please

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 12:06:25 CEST 2011

On Saturday 20 August 2011 23:53:53 Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 20/08/11 15:25, Lisi wrote:
> > ridiculous.  I think that I understand how to write a basic function, but
> > I can't work out how to save and call it.
[snip]
> There is a full worked example in the Functions and Modules
> topic in my tutorial...

Bless you, Alan.  Not only is your description great, but it caused me to
start to read your tutorial.

Bingo.  I think I now understand the conceptual problem I had at the core of
this.  You actually make it clear in your answer in this thread, but I was so
bogged down that I didn't take it in.

A function is a sub-routine and not a program.

That's it.  So simple and I have been stuck on this for weeks!

Now to start again!  When, of course, I may get stuck again.  But I think next
time I am stuck on something apparently trivial, I'll ask sooner.  And the
descriptions that you and Steven have given me of how to do it make a lot
more sense than the ones I was struggling with.

Heartfelt thanks to Alan and Steven.

Lisi