[Tutor] urllib2 issue getting realm

Sander Sweers sander.sweers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:09:14 CEST 2011

On 31 August 2011 09:46, Johan Geldenhuys <johan at accesstel.com.au> wrote:
> I am trying to use a very simple piece of code to get the realm from
> different HTTPS URLs.
> This realm is essential for successful authentication on the HTTPS session.

I think you got 2 things mixed up, http authentication and encrypted
http (https). Just having a https url does not mean you need to
authenticate. Take 'https://mail.google.com' as an example.

> If have to run this for a few different hosts and capture the realm.
> For one host, it works perfectly, but when I try the same code to get the
> next realm, it fails. I suspect that I need to close some type of
> connections or something, but I can't put my finger on it.

> For the next one:
> ...     req = urllib2.Request(URL % ips[1])
> ...     handle = urllib2.urlopen(req)
> ... except IOError, e:
> ...     print `e`
> See, no "e" printed which means that something worked. The exception didn't
> happen and I don't know why...Anybody?

Yes, when you type the url into your browser. I suspect it does not
ask you to authenticate via http authentication. Therefor no exception
is raised and you never print the headers.